Monday, January 10, 2011

Amazing Arizona Con Recap

Congrats to Jimmy Jay for putting on the new Arizona show, successfully filling the void left by Phoenix Comicon when they moved their show to May. Seemed like a decent crowd, if only for the Kirkman and Loeb crews. Artist alley crowds were patchy and unmotivated. Or maybe that was me. I've come to the realization that I'm not really a con artist (unless you count my gig with BOOM! where they pay me for being a no-talent hack. Get it?) I'm too busy/lazy to put in any con prep time and produce prints and material that are in line with specific con themes (eg. zombies at AACC). I am not a salesman or self-promoter. Only sold one sketch and spent most of the two days either working on Dracula pages or bullshitting with Ryan Cody, who made a very excellent booth-mate. The best part of any con is getting to chat with friends and peers. Caught up with Shannon Denton a bit. Only got to see Eric Esquivel for a second, though it was a mighty entertaining second. Met the really cool Andy Kuhn. Talking with Tony Parker always makes my day. Ben Glendenning made sufficient fun of my hair. Thanks, jerk. Here are some sketches (only the Captain America one was by request).






7 comments:

mattcrap said...

fodder for your eventual sketchbook (people get to charge $20-$30 for those)
That's where the big bucks are!!

ericMesquivel said...

I've found that to be the case with most visual artists, man. It's funny. I think you cats trade your social skills for artistic ability at some point :)

We should definitely join forces, man. I love the whole salesman part of the job. Anytime there are words involved I'm all over that shizz.

Ryan Cody said...

I have that awesome Green Lantern sketch hanging in my office, along with a Hulk sketch, and two original pages. People will wise up once they put you on a book with a bigger audience.

Jay said...

Darn - I should have dropped you another commission. I didn't realize that you were slow! I need to figure out another one for you to do at a future show.

BTW - I agree with Matt about producing a sketchbook. I'd buy that in a minute...

scottygod said...

Matt - Yeah, if I do another show I'll be producing a sketchbook.

Eric - Very true. I had the JLA, I didn't need friends.

Ryan - You did read that Newsarama review, right?

Jay - You totally should have. I was slower than shit all weekend.

Jay said...

By the way - your BATBOY rocks!

scottygod said...

Some parent requested that and never came back. Always take payment first.